We are often called to issue sponsor certificates for Godparents for the sacraments of Baptism and Confirmation. At times, we are unfortunately unable to provide a certificate for the potential sponsor, whether it be because of lack of attendance at Mass on Sundays and Holy Days, or sacraments not received.
Here is a little review of sponsor qualifications. If you are asked to be a sponsor, can you say YES to the following qualifications?
- Received the sacraments of Baptism, Communion and Confirmation in the Catholic Church,
- you are at least 16 years of age,
- if you are married, you were married within Church law,
- if you are not married, you are not living with anyone,
- you are a registered parishioner,
- you live a morally good life,
- and you attend Holy Mass regularly on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation.
If you can say YES to all these qualifications, please call the parish office by phone or email.